We all mostly, do the same thing, the second we wake up. Check Instagram.
It’s such a sneaky little act that made it, into my morning rituals, I don’t ever remember mornings being any other way. It’s a real shame because, mornings are a sacred time between you and the sunshine, it will only guide you as much as you let it.
I used to wait for the mornings, the glimmering sunshine that pierces the shadows of the previous night. It wasn’t until I started to dread mornings I realised that something went wrong and it had to change. It was this simple act of staying away from social media and internet first thing in the morning that changed the vibration of the whole day that lied ahead.
If you can wake up with a smile, with self-confidence then why shouldn’t you keep it?
It’s toxic to compare yourself to others anyway, but to do it first thing in the morning is to disrespect yourself, to the dawn, to the morning and to the sun.
Remember, most posts you see on social media are made under false pretenses. Those apps are designed to show you only what the user wants you to see. Even though each “happy” person on social media feels the same way when they see other “happy” people.
We are all doing the same things and even though you may know it deep down it gets almost impossible to convince your mind any different. So tell yourself you’re creating some boundaries. Your sacred dawn should remain blissful.
Here’s how your life will change with just this one simple habit.
- The mood you set in the morning carries throughout the day, so if you wake up and try not to check social media, you will have so much extra time to do the things that truly make you smile.
- You will have time and energy to put into designing a relaxing and energising morning ritual that truly works for you.
- You will have the opportunity to take your time to pamper yourself, get dressed, have some coffee all without a frown on your face.
- You will learn about yourself, you will notice little things, the leaves, the wind, the smell of fresh grass.
- You will become more aware of what it is like to be in your body and in your mind.
Here’s a few things you can do tonight to make sure all of the above happens for you.
- Take a deep breath, jot down things you want to do come morning.
- Set some water aside for next morning so this is the first thing you do at daybreak.
- Make an energising playlist of songs that always make you smile and make you want to dance.
- If possible turn off your phone until morning so you don’t get tempted to check social media. If your waking up is dependent on the alarm in your phone, then you are going to have to build some strong will power, to truly not check social media first thing in the morning.
- Another tip that really helped me was to set time aside during the day to check social media, preferable in the afternoon or evening.
These seemingly little changes made a huge impact on me, now I’m not saying it’s easy to stick to this, you’ll probably relapse at first, and fall into the cycle of letting social media lead your life. However, remember you are letting it lead your life, and just like that you can stop it. Just a few days and you will see it really makes you smile more throughout the day. 😀