Autumn is a truly vibrant time of the year. It always inspires me in a philosophical way. As a lover of summer, I feel a bit melancholic when the warmth of summertime slowly begins to fade.
Change of seasons are a great time to make little lifestyle changes, to adapt to the changing environment.
Right at the cusp of the fading warmth and falling leaves, there are rituals I have begun doing to carry me through the entirety of autumn. It made me feel warm and energised.
In mythology, philosophy, ancient civilisations and literataure. Autumn is a time to shed the past.
In any circumstance mimicking nature is our best bet to live full and vibrant lives.
Just like the leaves that change colour, fall and drift into the wind we must do so as well.
No matter how small the change, change is essential to embrace the spirit of autumn.
Especially in 2020, our world has been a whirlwind of sudden shifts beyond our comfort. It may have pushed some of you, into a deep state of restless melancholy, your plans are on hold, your mood has shifted in directions you didn’t intend.
Let’s see it this way, the only way that doesn’t cause a panic attack.
This is the time to reshape your life, let go of everything that doesn’t harmonize with your melody. Turn over a new leaf, learn to move on.
- Now this first step is going to seem futile however, it is a very tiny baby step. When autumn started I incorporated it’s colours daily in any way I could. That could be dressing in hues of green, warm yellow, mustard, red, orange and finally brown. Just to get in the zone of autumn. Little things like painting your nails orange, or making slight changes with different home décor accents.
- Adding Fall Scents, such as cinnamon, pumpkin, cardamom or any sweet fragrance with few spicy accords, you can add these through candles, perfume or even cooking/baking.
- Autumn music to truly embrace the change.
here are a few suggestions…….
- Early Autumn– Ella Fitzgerald
- Autumn in New York-Bing Crosby
- Les Feullies Mortes- Yves Montad
- September in the Rain-Frank Sinatra
- When October Goes-Rosemary Clooney
- Autumn Leaves-Bing Crosby
- The September Of My Years-Frank Sinatra
Here are some autumn impressions
Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fallF.Scott Fitzgerald
Notice that Autumn is more the season of the soul than of natureFriedrich Nietzsche
Designers want me to dress like Spring, in billowing things, I don’t feel like Spring I feel like a warm Red AutumnMarilyn Monroe
As long as Autumn lasts I shall not have hands, canvas and colours enough to paint the beautiful things I see.Vincent Van Gogh
Apart from the obvious aesthetic enchantment of fall there are some serious changes that we can make to our lives for self-betterment.
- Let go of anything that weighs you down, any habit, word, feelings that hinder happiness.
- Let go of the past, it is easier said than done, but if you haven’t begun then start now.
- Write down 5 good things that you felt in the summer thank your life for those moments and let go of any unpleasant memories.
- Make healthier food choices, all the harvest that autumn has to offer. In ancient civilizations autumn was a great time to come together and enjoy the harvest before winter took it away.
Every season is there to teach us something new, we just have to capture it’s essential spirit and live it to the fullest.