Can you feel your energy draining around 3pm? We all get that hazy feeling when we start to feel lazy and want to drift into sleep, especially these days when most people are working from home or are in lockdown.
You may feel “I’m going to take a nap” and then you end up waking up in the evening, feeling lethargic, lazy and lacking in energy to do anything especially exercise.
Here are a few things to do after lunch to avoid that afternoon haze
- Right after lunch, have some green tea don’t lie down. This is a healthy habit to feel alert and aid in healthy weight loss. It can be tempting to lay down and drift into sleep but this disrupts the sleep cycle, by falling into this cycle you will find it harder to fall asleep at night and as a consequence wake up late and repeat this pattern all over again. I’m trying to break this pattern right now and it’s hard and it needs dedication however, I have done this before and it really works.
- Around 4pm indulge in your dose of caffeine, this is a good time to have coffee or tea, as it won’t keep you up at night. This is what has helped me from napping.
- However, don’t be worried to take a nap if you really feel like you need it. Keep it short, no more than 30 minutes. Naps are beneficial and they refresh and reset your brain however, sometimes we don’t really need them we are just tempted, so our naps turn to a long period of sleep that can slow you down.
- Plan an evening workout, cardio, or slow stretches, walks, dancing whatever makes you feel energetic.
- When in doubt look for music or short clips online that interest you and motivate you, something so interesting that you forget about your laziness.
You will feel so much more energised with this little change, and find time that you forgot you had. Afternoons can be calm and beautiful, plenty of extra time to do the things you never find time to do. Especially during these times…