There are days when you feel down and not up for anything. When days feel like evenings and evenings like night. The days when you can hear the loud winds and rustling of twigs. It can feel unsettling and lonely. But it has it’s own kind of beauty. I have always disliked winters but appreciating them makes me enjoy summer that much more it elevates the real joy to greater heights.
It’s almost always worse when it starts raining on a cold winter day. You can feel a shiver down your spine. Here are a few tips to make gloomy winter days comforting.
Rituals for a Gloomy Day
- Lack of sunshine always brings me down, makes me feel irritated and uncomfortable, so on days like those it’s important to remember and remind yourself with gratitude of the warmth you have in life. The comfort of home.
- Great time to try out some winter delicacies like warm soups or spicy recipes to change your day.
- Grab a good book or watch a great movie you’ve always wanted to stream.
- Surround yourself with warm colours. Red, Maroon, Burgundy, Plum. This is also a great way to get into the festive season.
- Create an ambience of warmth and comfort with soft cozy lights, scented candles, music.
- Do any ritual that reminds you of your childhood.
Here are some great songs that go with gloomy days
I’m not including Christmas tracks because that is a dedicated list in its own right.
- California Dreamin’- (any version is good but I personally prefer Nancy Sinatra’s version)
- Stormy Weather-Harold Arlen
- Solitude-Billie Holiday
- La Javanaise- Serge Gainsbourg
- Old Money- Lana Del Rey
- Various Storms and Saints- Florence + The Machine
Winter can be a lonely time especially these days but moments like those can be inspiring to create art. Think of things that help you to feel warm and as a result others as well.
Self-care tips for Winter
- Take care of yourself by drinking lots of water and keeping hydrated in winters we tend to drink less water but we need it that much more.
- Try to add spices to your cooking, baking and beverages. Add spices like pepper, paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and ginger.
- Do cardio to keep warm or go for a run.
- Take warm showers/baths moisturize and add some great winter scents. Warm woody perfumes with spicy accords or powdery perfumes with notes of sandalwood or go sweeter with Christmas themed scents like vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and read a good book. Or watch classic comedies.
- Dress in your best winter style there’s nothing like a cozy sweater.
Usually in winters I read about summer and reminisce about hot July nights but lately I’ve been trying to embody the spirit of each season so I find myself reading about winter even more, listening to music inspired by winter, and trying to find the best ways to make winters as comfortable as they can be.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.Victor Hugo
In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.Albert Camus
Remember no winter lasts forever. This way you’ll find the best in it and note that Spring is always waiting to greet you.