Happy New Year to all of you! It’s finally over 2020. I’m sure all of you have some hope for 2021 and with that perhaps you have decided on a resolution. Like learning an instrument, a language, a skill? Work on yourself? Lose weight? Eat Healthy? Practice meditation? etc..
Whatever it may be, it’s actually hard to keep a resolution going all year round. Most of us fall short by the fourth week of January. I’ve been there too.
However, I have managed to keep a few resolutions over the years. Here are a few ways I made sure to not lose the motivation to keep a good resolution going.
- Identify why you need a resolution anyway. If you’re keeping a resolution because it’s just something everyone around you is doing. Then I’m sorry to tell you but you probably won’t continue it. A resolution is defined as “a firm decision to do or not do something.” Think about it, for a second. If you make a decision on a whim you’re going to end up thinking ” why did I do that?” A decision comes from a firm understanding of the why? ask yourself three questions – Why do I need to do this? What will I get out of this? How is this going to make me better?
- When you pick a resolution, notice if the resolution is something you feel you need in your life?, if it will make you better and whether you will get a good skill or experience out of it? If any act you choose actually teaches you something or enhances and enriches your life for the better then it is a good resolution to keep.
- Now it is actually time to keep the resolution, It is time to come through. Here’s a trick- tell yourself that this is a resolution for January. January that’s it. One month. That’s not a lot. That’s doable. I feel it’s the 365 days that we find overwhelming. How can you keep a habit going for 365 days if you’re not fully invested in it? So, if you just pick January. It will be less intimidating and it will feel less overwhelming. Try to keep a good habit going for the month of January and see how it makes you feel on February 1st.
- When you have kept a resolution going for a month everyday without fail. You will feel a sense of accomplishment. You will feel motivated to keep it going.
- Don’t beat yourself up. Don’t be rigid. I feel when I’m too rigid with a resolution. It feels almost painful, like a chore to keep it going and self-care and self betterment shouldn’t feel like a painful task. It is a self-care ritual. It should feel enriching.
- Lastly, wanting to do something good for yourself and your life can start anytime so don’t feel pressure to call your new attempt a resolution, don’t give it a name, just see it as a good thing to do. You will be more likely to come through.
I hope you liked reading this. Happy New Year. I hope 2021 will bring light and happiness to all of your lives. Let me know what you think. If you have any resolutions for 2021, in the comments.
and once again
Happy New Year! 2021
2 thoughts on “How to keep a New Year’s Resolution….”
I’ll definitely visit this blog again, thank you 🙂
Thanks so much! I’m glad you liked it! 😀